Lucy Bleach’s practice focuses on human’s varied relationships to tenuous, contingent and at times volatile environments, seeking engagement with communities that authentically experience such relationships. Geological terms and processes are explored to reflect on intimate human experience, to discover new ways of understanding a connection between local and universal, deep time and real time, and how slowness might afford a way of capturing the total presence of something.
Lucy has produced solo commissioned and collaborative works, exhibited nationally and internationally, and undertaken research projects in geologically unstable regions in Italy, Japan, Hawaii and Vanuatu.
- 1990 Bachelor Fine Arts, COFA, University of New South Wales
- 2007 Master of Fine Arts, Tasmanian College of the Arts, University of Tasmania
Selected Exhibition History
- variations on an energetic field. The Unconformity Festival, Queenstown
- phase transition. The Return, curated by Stevie S. Han. Dark Mofo.
- something more solid. Remanence, Ten Days on the Island Festival, Domain House, Tasmania
- night garden (Triabunna and Hobart). Live Site Catalyst for Dark Mofo
- underground. Contemporary Art Tasmania Solo Commission. Contemporary Art Tasmania, Hobart
- superslow. Tasmanian International Arts Festival, Salamanca Arts Centre. Hobart
- remote viewing. Performing Mobilities, the Australian cluster contribution to the PSI 2015 project Fluid States
- radiant heat. Dark Mofo, Hobart
- horizontal slowness. Collaboration with Narelle Jubellin. Redlands Konica Minolta Art Prize, Sydney.
- airfall. Witness. Linden Gallery, Melbourne. Curator Kit Wise.
- crymeariver. Collaborative project with John Vella. Heavy Metals Project, Museum of Old and New Art, Tasmania
- dirty big whole. Collaborative project with John Vella. Constance A.R.I. Hobart
- unfinished business. You, Me and Every Space We Know. Outward Gallery, Launceston.
- lag. Augmentor, Outward Gallery, Launceston.
- homeopathy. Domain – a Contested Landscape, Ten Days on the Island Festival, Domain House, Tasmania
- Foreplay. Co-curated group exhibition of Australian artists with Geoff Parr
- the third space. In collaboration with Narelle Jubelin, CWA Art projects, Hobart. Curated by Paula Silva
- local colour. Devonport Regional Gallery Solo Commissioned Exhibition
- homing. Iteration Again. Hobart. Curated by David Cross
- volcano lover. Star/Dust Contemporary Art Solo Commission, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
- GREENhorn. Green, Plimsoll Gallery, Hobart. Curator Geoff Parr
- oral Fibre, 4th Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennial, Japan
- blue peter. Immense Views, Innovators 3, Linden Gallery, Melbourne
- lust for life (curator), group exhibition of Tasmanian artists
- drawn. Trust, Ten Days on the Island Festival, Clarendon House, Evandale, Tasmania
- municipality. KINGS A.R.I., Melbourne
- revues des deux mondes. INFLIGHT Gallery, Hobart
- nature is a language can’t you read. Companion Planting, CAST Gallery, Hobart. Curator Jack Robins
- spirit level and bitumen profiles, Sweet Observations of An Interior World, Devonport Regional Gallery. Curator Jane Stewart
- circumnarrative. an other place, Long Gallery, Salamanca Arts Centre, Ten Days on the Island Festival. Curator Sean Kelly
- reserved. Port Arthur Project, Port Arthur Historic Site, Ten Days on the Island Festival
- 2017 Artist Investment Grant (Individual), Arts Tasmania
- 2017 Tasmanian Community Fund (team project
- 2015 OLT Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Federal Office for Learning and Teaching
- 2015 Ian Potter Arts funding for the Midland Restoration Project
- 2015 Live Site Catalyst, Institute for Social Change, UTAS team grant
- 2015 Midlands Restoration Project, UTAS team Community Engagement Grant
- 2015 Tinker Gym, UTAS Teaching Development Grant
- 2014 VC Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, UTAS
- 2013 Academic Career Development Scholarship. University of Tasmania
- 2012 Skills and Development Grant, Australia Council for the Arts
- 2011 Research Enhancement Grants Scheme, University of Tasmania
- 2011 Star/Dust Contemporary Art Commission. Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery/Detached
- 2010 New Academic Research Grant, University of Tasmania
- 2010 Qantas Encouragement Award for Contemporary Arts
- 2010 New Work Grant, Australia Council for the Arts
- 2009 Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennial, Japan
- 2009 Asialink Visual Arts Residency, Japan
- 2008 Professional Development grant, Australia Council for the Arts
- 2008 New work grant, Arts Tasmania
- 2005 Australian Postgraduate Award, University of Tasmania
- 2004 Professional Development grant, Arts Tasmania
- 1992 Professional Development grant, Australia Council for the Arts
- 2016 – 2017 Art Committee member, Glenorchy Art and Sculpture Park (GASP).
- 2012 – 2016 Peer assessor for the Visual Arts Board, Australia Council
- 2013 – 2017 Heavy Metal Project Committee member, MONA
- 2006 – 2012 Program Committee member, Contemporary Art Tasmania